Truck Accident Lawyer in Hobbs, New Mexico
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), in 2020 there were 415,000 reported crashes that involved large commercial trucks. Of these incidents, 4,444 were fatal and 101,000 caused injury to the people involved. As the numbers show, more than 1,000 truck accidents happen daily across the United States, and the risk these accidents carry of injury or worse is considerable.
Passionately Advocating for the Injured
At Zebas Law Firm, LLC, we know the kinds of damage trucks can do and we have seen the physical, mental, and financial burdens that individuals and families face after a crash. Attorney Zebas is experienced in handling commercial accidents, and is a member of the National Truckers Association and is familiar with the Federal Motor Carrier Act.
If you have been injured in an accident, seek the help of our Hobbs truck accident attorney. For more than 23 years, he has fought to get people across New Mexico and Arizona the compensation they need.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
It is often difficult in both the short and long terms to know exactly what to do after an accident with a large truck. What follows are our recommendations for what somebody should do if they get in this kind of wreck.
Seek Medical Attention
The most important thing for anyone to do after an accident is to seek appropriate medical care. Even in cases where you can walk away from an accident, you should see a medical professional to detect and/or prevent any injuries you might not have immediately noticed.
Document the Crash and Your Injuries
Any documentation you can collect after the accident can be key in your case. Be sure to take pictures or recordings of the scene, if it is safe to do so. Document any injuries sustained in the crash and continue to do so in the weeks and months that follow to show how they progressed or regressed.
Start Your Suit Early
Although the statute of limitations for seeking compensation after a truck accident seemingly provides a substantial window of time, it can be crucial for the success of your case to file as early as possible. Being prompt decreases the likelihood of losing important documentation and gives you more time to build your suit before formally filing.
Below is the statute of limitations in New Mexico for personal injury cases:
- Three years from the date of the crash to file a personal injury lawsuit
- Three years to seek compensation for property damages
- Three years from the date of loved one’s passing to file a wrongful death action, if they died because of injuries sustained in the accident
Below is the statute of limitations in Arizona for personal injury cases:
- Individuals who have been injured or whose property has been damaged in a truck accident have two years to file a suit.
- Families of loved ones who might have died in a wreck also have two years, but the timeline for the statute of limitations begins on the deceased’s date of passing.
The Statute of Limitations is a time constraint on the window you have to file your lawsuit. The Statute of Limitations starts on the day of the accident, and is different lengths in each state. If you fail to timely bring your lawsuit, you will lose your right to sue. It is important to get in contact with an attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights.
Compensation We Can Recover for Truck Accidents
The costs of a truck accident for individuals and families alike are substantial. That is why our firm works to get our clients the full amount of compensation to cover their needs after an accident.
The types of damages we seek include:
- Medical expenses from both immediately after the accident, as well those our clients might have to pay for additional care
- Wages that a person might have missed because their injuries made them unable to work or limited their capacity to work as much as they previously did
- Money to replace or repair our client’s car, in addition to any other property that might have been damaged in the accident
- Compensation for the intangible effects of a crash such as extended or chronic pain or any decrease in their quality of life
To talk about the specifics of your case with our Hobbs truck accident attorney, call us at (575) 214-3888 or contact us online.
He went above and beyond for my family and I wouldn't change a thing.- Robert H.
During the hardest time of our lives the Zebas Law Firm was there for us!- Meghan W.
Highly recommend Joe Zebas and his team.- Manny S.
Thank you for everything and highly recommend this firm.- Chris K.
I would recommend his team to defend your rights.- Jade S.