Slip and Fall Lawyer in Hobbs, New Mexico
When people think of slip-and-fall accidents, they often think of an unsuspecting patron slipping on a puddle of water at a grocery store, restaurant, or another type of establishment. There is, however, an unfortunately large variety of accidents that can happen on all types of properties. A person might trip on a dimly lit set of stairs at a stadium, for instance, or a child might fall from a faulty piece of playground equipment. Whatever the case, these falls can often result in medical bills, lost wages, or temporary or persistent injuries that make work or day-to-day tasks more difficult.
To find out how our Hobbs slip and fall injury lawyer could help you, call (575) 214-3888 today or contact us online.
Injured in a Slip & Fall Accident? We Can Help
If you have been hurt in a slip-and-fall accident, seek the help of Zebas Law Firm, LLC to recover the damages you deserve. Our attorney has a reputation for doing more than building his clients’ cases and arguing them in court. He advocates for the people he serves and will even take on cases other lawyers would not consider.
He went above and beyond for my family and I wouldn't change a thing.Robert H.
Premises Liability Laws in New Mexico and Arizona
New Mexico and Arizona categorize property visitors in three different ways: invitee, licensee, and trespasser. Each categorization means different things for the liability of a property owner:
- If a person has been “invited” to visit a property to eat, shop, watch an event, or take part in another activity, then the property owner has a responsibility to keep this invitee safe from various hazards that could cause them to slip and fall.
- Mail carriers, friends and family, religious missionaries, and public property users, among others, are considered licensees. If anybody with this designation slips and falls on a property, they will have to demonstrate that a hazard on the property caused their fall to establish the owner’s liability.
- With very few exceptions, trespassers have no liability protection should they fall on a property and injure themselves.
The Legal Representation You Need
In addition to outlining when a property owner is liable, both states’ laws describe the responsibility people have to keep themselves safe on a property.
There are two important legal doctrines to consider:
- The “open and obvious” doctrine maintains that certain hazards on a property should be so apparent that nearly any person should be able to avoid it. It can be difficult to seek an injury claim if this doctrine applies to the case.
- The “comparative negligence” doctrine provides protection for a property owner in instances where a person’s actions led to an accident. In these cases, the compensation a person could pursue can be reduced.
Call us today at (575) 214-3888 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.
What to do After a Slip and Fall
It goes without saying that if you have been injured after a fall, you ought to seek medical care. Doing so can put you on track for a speedier recovery. It can also be an essential first step toward building your slip-and-fall injury case. This is because your primary care doctor or a professional at an urgent care clinic will officially document the details and severity of your injuries, which we can use later in court.
Beyond seeking medical care, here are three additional steps you should take:
- Do not hesitate to gather documentation of your own. Take pictures of your injuries and the location where you fell. It is also a good idea to track the progress of your injuries over time. If the effects persist or worsen, take more pictures, talk about them in a voice note on your phone, or write the details in a journal.
- If others were around to witness your fall, try and obtain their information. Additionally, get the information of the property and/or the owner, and if possible, file an official injury report with them.
- Whether you know right away that you want to seek damages or you are wondering if you could, contact our Hobbs slip-and-fall injury lawyer. For these types of suits, the earlier you seek legal support the better.
What Makes Us Different
- Free, No Obligation Consultations
- Personalized Service and Attention
- Aggressive & Compassionate Representation
- 24/7 Availability
- Experience at the State and Federal Level
- Se Habla Español