Auto Accident Lawyer in Hobbs, New Mexico
According to a New Mexico Department of Transportation report, car crashes happened once nearly every 14 minutes in 2020 and 30% resulted in injury. Nobody wants to be involved in an accident while on their way to work or driving to the grocery store, but the numbers suggest they are an unfortunate fact of life in our state and that it is not uncommon for people to get hurt in a wreck.
Fighting For Full & Fair Compensation
At Zebas Law Firm, LLC, we have more than 23 years of experience helping clients build their auto accident cases and pursuing just compensation. When you work with our attorney, you will have direct access to his experienced counsel so that at every step of the way you can be sure you are putting yourself in the best position to get a fair settlement.
Understanding Pure Comparative Fault in New Mexico
When it comes to settling an auto accident case and determining compensation, New Mexico is unique. Our state employs a pure comparative fault rule that reduces the amount of a claim settlement by the percentage of your fault in causing your injuries. Confused? Here is an example:
- If your damages are $100,000 but the court rules that you were 30 percent at fault for those damages, then you would receive 30 percent less damages. In this example, it means you would only receive $70,000.
Now you can see why it is important to have an experienced attorney to help prove fault in your auto accident claim.
Types of Auto Accident Compensation
Our Hobbs auto accident attorney will do everything in his power to help you recover all the unexpected expenses your crash brought about. We can work to prove the liability of the other driver in the wreck, substantiate your injury claims with documentation and the opinions of medical professionals, and advocate for you in the various negotiations that are part of auto accident cases.
In doing so, some of the damages our attorney can help you recover include:
- Medical expenses for both present and future care
- Money to replace or repair your vehicle
- Wages you might have lost because you were unable to work
- Wages you might miss because you cannot work at the same capacity as you did before the crash
- Damages for physical suffering or emotional trauma that the wreck caused
Common Causes of Car Accidents in New Mexico
The common causes of car accidents in New Mexico include:
- Speeding: Exceeding the posted speed limit or driving too fast for the road conditions.
- Impaired Driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other substances.
- Inattention: Distracted driving, such as using a cell phone, eating, or attending to other tasks while behind the wheel.
- Drowsy Driving: Operating a vehicle while fatigued or drowsy, which can impair judgment and reaction time.
- Failing to Yield the Right-of-Way: Ignoring traffic rules and regulations, leading to collisions at intersections or when merging.
- Wrong-Way Driving: Traveling in the opposite direction of traffic, often causing severe accidents.
- Reckless Driving: Engaging in aggressive or dangerous driving behaviors, such as tailgating, speeding, or running red lights.
- Distracted Driving: Diverted attention from the act of driving due to various distractions, such as texting or talking on a cell phone.
When to Get an Attorney for a Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in an auto accident, it is important to get legal help as soon as possible. This is because the lawyer can help you collect evidence and talk to people who saw the crash before they forget about what happened. This principle also applies to evidence, which can become harder to find as time passes. At-fault parties may even try to hide evidence if given too much time. So, if you wait too long, the evidence and testimonies in your case may not be as strong.
It is also important to keep in mind that there are deadlines you must meet in order to receive compensation. In New Mexico, the statute of limitations for filing an auto accident lawsuit is three years from the date of the crash. This means that if you do not file your case within this time frame you may be unable to recover damages for any losses caused by your accident. Additionally, other deadlines such as those for filing certain forms and documents with insurance companies or government agencies may apply.
Having an experienced car accident lawyer on your side can help ensure that all these deadlines are met and that you have the best chance of getting fair compensation for your injuries and losses. An experienced car accident lawyer will know what documents must be filed when and will also be able to make sure any settlement offers are fair and just.
They can also help identify potential sources of evidence and ensure the validity of any witness testimony. With their expertise, they can help build a strong case on your behalf while giving you peace of mind knowing that you are doing everything possible to secure the compensation you deserve.
Why Do I Need a New Mexico Auto Accident Attorney?
An experienced car accident lawyer can help you understand your rights and protect them, ensuring that you receive the full compensation that you deserve for any injuries or losses suffered due to the crash. A car accident attorney will be able to assess all aspects of your case, including:
- Determining fault and liability
- Collecting evidence
- Calculating damages
- Negotiating with insurance companies and representing your interests in court if necessary
With their knowledge of state laws related to auto accidents and a deep understanding of the claims process, they can ensure that no stone goes unturned when pursuing your claim. A car accident lawyer near you will be able to:
- Establishing Liability: An experienced car accident attorney will be able to quickly analyze your case and build a strong claim that establishes liability for negligence in the other party involved.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Getting fair compensation from an insurance company can be difficult, especially after an auto accident. A car accident lawyer is skilled in negotiations and can help you get the highest possible settlement amount from the insurance company.
- Understanding Your Rights: Car accident lawyers are well-versed in personal injury laws and can advise you of your rights so that you do not accept a settlement offer or sign any documents without proper understanding of their implications on your case.
What You Should Do After a Crash
The first thing you should do after an accident is make sure both you and your passengers are safe. If you can, seek medical attention for any injuries you might have sustained as soon as possible. If you are seriously injured, however, you should remain in your vehicle and call 911 or have someone to do it for you.
Additional steps you should take include:
- File a police report. This is the first step you can take toward building your case, as it will provide an official record of the crash.
- Document your crash by taking photos and videos of the damage to your car, the accident scene, and the area around it. Our Hobbs auto accident attorney could use your documentation as evidence in the case.
- Document any injures you sustained. The moments after a crash can be stressful, which could make recalling how/when your injuries happened difficult later on. Be sure to take photos or videos of your injuries and document how they affected you initially and how they changed over time.
- If possible, obtain information from the other driver(s). Things you should gather include their name(s) and contact information, insurance company and policy number, and their driver’s license and license plate number. While this step might seem straightforward, it can be difficult or even dangerous to complete after an accident because tensions are often high. Do your best to assess the situation, and if it does not seem safe to interact with the other driver(s), refrain from doing so.
- Get the information of other witnesses at the scene. Identify any other witnesses to the crash and ask to get their information. Their perspective could prove to be useful in supporting your case.
Do not hesitate to contact our attorney at Zebas Law Firm, LLC after your accident. Getting the counsel of our lawyer early on can help you build a strong case and get the compensation you need sooner.
Contact Zebas Law Firm, LLC
If you have been hurt in an accident, you have likely had to pay a significant price for something that was not your fault. At Zebas Law Firm, LLC, we want to help you make things right for you and your loved ones. To begin the process of seeking compensation, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation. While working with you, we will be sure to account for and document all past, present, and future expenses so that we can pursue a case that could get the exact amount of money you need.
He went above and beyond for my family and I wouldn't change a thing.- Robert H.
During the hardest time of our lives the Zebas Law Firm was there for us!- Meghan W.
Highly recommend Joe Zebas and his team.- Manny S.
Thank you for everything and highly recommend this firm.- Chris K.
I would recommend his team to defend your rights.- Jade S.